Thursday, August 9, 2012

taking walks

Anyone who knows me knows that my favorite thing to do is read.
I can curl up in bed or on the couch and read for hours.
This isn't a bad thing, and on a day like today when it is pouring outside (Thank you, God!!!), once I get the cleaning done, reading is exactly what I'll be doing.

But getting out of the house is so good for you and your body.
Taking a walk is one of my favorite forms of exercise.
It strengthens my legs and I work up a healthy sweat.
And with all the hiking trails available within 15-20 minutes of our house, I have absolutely no excuse to not get out and walk.
All the good things walking does for your body you probably already know.

But did you also know that walking is good for your mind and your soul?
My husband and I take walks/hikes together as often as we can.
And during that time, we talk.
We always have incredibly stimulating conversation, but when we are out walking, it's different because we are not distracted by other things at home and we are focused completely on each other.
And when I take walks alone, which happens more often than not, I put on my headphones and listen to music or an audio drama, and just appreciate the glory of God's world around me.
Sometimes I don't even turn any music on, I just listen to the sounds of nature.
In the springtime, you hear the spring peepers -- the baby frogs.
In the summertime, there are lots of sounds.
In the autumn, you hear the rustling of the colorful leaves as the wind blows through the treetops.
In the wintertime, usually you just hear the silence. (That might be my favorite.)

Think about God and His faithfulness when you take a walk.
Think about how you may better yourself in life, and then apply it when you get home.
Think about history, science, philosophy, literature, psychology -- ANYTHING that gets your mind going.
Take a camera along (or use your phone) and snap photos of things in the landscape that fascinate you.
Heck, snap a picture of the blue sky.

And you know what?
This is all good for you and it doesn't cost a thing. (Except for the gas if you drive to a park, but it's worth it, trust me.)

Walking is good for your body.
Walking is good for your mind.
Walking is good for your soul.

So get out and take a walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment