Sunday, January 13, 2013

in the bleak midwinter

Winter is my favorite season, because I love the cold and the snow. A cold wind and swirling snowflakes boost my mood in such a way that only brisk weather like that can do. But what if there is no snow? Or if there is a January thaw and the layers of beautiful white crystals turn into brown mud? I sigh, turn back to my tea and novel, and wish for another snowstorm.

The cold did return last night, bringing with it a shower of freezing rain. That was not so nice, but thankfully it did not last long so the roads are clear. Heavily salted, but at least not too icy.

One of my favorite things about winter is that there are moments where I long for spring. In the past few years, I discovered that I have a great longing to cultivate a garden. For most of my life, I have tried to grow various flowers, herbs, and vegetables, and for the most part they survived. But now I have the chance to truly have my own garden. Last year it failed rather spectacularly because of the horrid dry heat, but this year I am determined. Whether in my plot of ground or in pots on the deck, my plants will not die.

So this year, I have begun my garden planning early. Armed with notebooks, various books from the library, and Pinterest (of course!), by the time the warm weather is here to stay, I will be ready.

But in the meantime, I will continue to wish for more snow and plant a garden in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment