Sunday, January 12, 2014

geekery and not limiting oneself

As I post on Facebook about a Hayao Miyazaki tribute on the latest episode of The Simpsons, listen to the soundtrack for The Little Mermaid, watch PBS all night (Downton Abbey and Unlocking Sherlock), complain about various oddities in Doctor Who, and read William Shakespeare's Star Wars, I have come to the realisation that my life is mostly geekery. Not that I wasn't aware of this fact before. But I think for a short while I lost sight of my identity. It was clear in my various blogging attempts that I couldn't figure out what direction I was going. This could easily have everything to do with so much in my life changing since going to university, but that's no excuse. I have to remember who I am and not try to be someone I am not.

Yes, I wanted to start a homemaking/marriage/cooking/etc. blog. I even did for a short while (the link is on my page). But though my heart is firmly rooted in all those things, that's not my passion when it comes to writing and blogging. Well, except for that last one. Sharing recipes I intend to try and ones I have already tried is just plain fun. It was all too difficult to attempt to write about aspects of homemaking and marriage when I mostly want to keep things like that private or between close friends and family. Don't take this the wrong way. I find nothing wrong with homemaking bloggers or marriage bloggers. That just isn't me.

I refuse to label and limit myself in blogging simply because I felt that is what I should do as a young married Christian woman. All my life I have longed to write a sci-fi or fantasy novel. And that's never going to happen if I don't let myself revel in my geekery and remember that this is who I am. Somehow I feel as if I were pushing away that part of myself. And this is all hard to write, actually. But it's a sort of affirmation, too. God made me exactly how He was supposed to, and that is a blessed fact. So basically I am here to declare that this blog does not have one particular purpose, but that it will finally fully reflect me.

Book reviews, film reviews, music reviews, various sundry items from around the internet, personal writings, poetry, cooking, natural living/homesteading (because I'm rather a geek in that way, too, haha), amateur photography, etc. will all have their place here. I'm sure it'll end up being mostly book reviews for a time. I know I am good at those. Then again, like my chaotic and creative mind, I don't know what may come up. But, as I've said recently, I'm sticking with it!




No comments:

Post a Comment